The Scholarship Review Committee at the Columbia Institute completed the selection of recipients for this year’s awarding cycle.
Four $1000 and three $750 scholarships will be allocated to pay for tuition and other related expenses of the seven recipients, all children of active union members graduating from high school.
This year’s scholarship recipients displayed exceptional community involvement, leadership abilities, and dedication to academic excellence.
The 2017 scholarship winners are:
- Kathryn Mannie from Vancouver, BC will be studying Humanities at the University of Toronto ($1000);
- Rahul Singla from Edmonton, AB will be studying Bachelor of Science at the University of Alberta ($1000);
- Sylvia Mi from Port Coquitlam, BC will be studying Co-op Management and International Business at the University of Toronto ($1000);
- Skyler Fuhrman from Calgary, AB will be studying Coordinated Science at the University of British Columbia ($1000);
- Tamara Yoshida from Richmond, BC will be studying Social Science at the University of Western Ontario ($750);
- Kyana Erin Espiritu from Ajax, ON will be studying Biological Sciences at the University of Toronto ($750); and
- Cole Brauer from Coquitlam, BC will be studying Science (pre-med) at the University of British Columbia ($750).
“Our scholarship program rewards leadership values and labour knowledge, and I am pleased to say that the 2017 scholarship recipients embody these qualities,” says Lee Riggs, National President of the TWU, USW National Local 1944. “We are proud to support these brilliant students in accessing the education that will make them active and responsible members of our society.”
The TWU, USW National Local 1944 would also like to congratulate Matthew Tonks from Prince George, BC. Matthew was awarded a United Steelworkers Post-Secondary Education Scholarship in the amount of $1000.
“Your essay and other achievements are truly impressive,” stated Ken Neumann, National Director for Canada in a congratulatory letter.
For more information about our scholarship opportunities:
Telecommunications Workers Union, United Steelworkers National Local 1944